I have now officially started my reading week, which means I can now start posting all of these recipes I have been eager to share with you! Although I do have school work to do (naturally), I plan on watching as much of the Olympics as possible along with catching up on my blog reading!
Due to my busy and hectic schedule the past few weeks, I have been experimenting a bit more with my slow cooker. It really is a great feeling to have dinner already warm and ready for you as soon as you step through the door…oh and not to mention the wonderful aroma that fills the house.
Given that my main use of a slow cooker is to reduce my prep time, this recipe will literally take you about 5 minutes to put together. You can assemble it quickly before you run out the door because no real prep time necessary.
I served this sweet and tangy chicken over leftover brown rice from the day before, along with steamed vegetables. To keep with the minimal prep theme, I recommend you cook extra of whatever grain you prefer the night before, so you can just heat it up and serve without having to wait for it to cook. However, if you forgot to do this, then just quickly steam a big batch of frozen mixed vegetables, drizzle with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then call it dinner!
4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 2 1/2 lbs)
⅓ cup honey
⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. canola oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
½ medium onion, diced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Lay chicken breasts flat in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients, except cornstarch.
3. Pour over chicken, cover, and cook on low for 4 hours.
4. Once done, transfer chicken to a large plate.
5. Transfer sauce to a small saucepan and heat on medium-high until brought to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
6. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and 3 tbsp of water until dissolved. Whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce, cooking for about 2-3 minutes and whisking until thickened. Set aside.
7. With two forks, shred the chicken in the plate, then add back to slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken and mix until fully coated. Serve warm.
Happy Family Day to those who are celebrating!