Puffed Millet Peanut Butter Bites and Cookies

IMG_2337

I have had half a bag of puffed millet sitting in my pantry for a while now, and my new goal is to try to use up most of the odds and ends of random ingredients I have no use for in my day-to-day life. A quick pinterest search and I found these little bites of goodness. However, the first attempt did not go as planned (who knew microwaving peanut butter too long would actually start to cook it!). Not wanting to throw away the pricey natural peanut butter in the recipe, I improvised and made them into cookies. The batch was saved and I now have a new cookie recipe to add to my collection!

IMG_2338

This morning I finally went to hot yoga, after missing it for a few months now. Something about the heat, darkness and deep stretching makes me leaving eveytime high on endorphins and wanting to eat the biggest bowl of fruit and greens I can make.

However, I noticed that anytime I’ve ever gone to yoga the teacher emphasizes not resting your weight on your palms in downward dog, but instead to push through your finger tips. I never understood this concept because I always felt that if I pushed through my fingertips I would literally break them! So, I decided to ask for a tutorial, and now I will be practicing “curling my fingers like a cat climbing a tree” and not put so much pressure on my wrists. Has anyone else had this problem? I find I can’t hold the downward dog as long as I’d want to because my wrists give out, and although she advised that it did take a lot of practice to master this technique, it will do wonders for my grip strength. We shall see!

Happy Sunday!

Comments: 14

1. Davida @ The Healthy Maven November 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm Reply

4 ingredients??!!? I have a huge bag of puffed millet sitting in my pantry at home too and have had no clue what to do with it. Now I just need to get my butt back to Toronto and make these!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…{Five On Friday} Random Ramblings #2My Profile

2. Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply

I don’t have a bag of puffed millet occupying my pantry, but I do have plenty of other random ingredients that I need to start getting rid of. And how amazing is the combination of nut butter and honey? I seriously love any baked (or non-baked) treat that’s centred around those two.

Happy Sunday, girlie!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 11/10 .My Profile

3. Christine @ Gotta Eat Green November 15, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

These look great!! I’ve never had puffed millet before but I found puffed quinoa a few months ago and loved it.
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…1 Year Blogiversary!!My Profile

4. Katherine November 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reply

I’m impressed! Only 4 ingredients? They don’t look like your typical cookies, which is a good thing! I’m obsessed with cute little cookie bites. I need to find some puffed millet asap!
    Katherine recently posted…Little School Retreats With Big Impacts.My Profile

5. Cassie November 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply

These look great! Will definitely have to try them. :)

In my hot yoga classes the teachers will say that if downward dog is bothering your wrists, you should inner rotate your forearms to put more pressure through you pointer finger and thumb knuckles. The pose normally doesn’t bother my wrists, so I can’t say for sure if that would help, but I know I feel more stable when I do that!

• Christina November 30, 2013 at 6:35 am Reply

Great tip, I haven’t heard this but I’m going to be trying this in tomorrow’s class so thanks! :)

• Cassie January 10, 2014 at 10:49 am Reply

I made these and they were a huge hit for a family dinner! I also made a second batch with almond butter and added dried cranberries. Thanks for the recipe!

• Christina January 13, 2014 at 8:36 am Reply

So glad you liked it!!

6. Jessie December 2, 2013 at 7:23 am Reply

Nice with the peanut butter salvage! I’m curious what cooked PB is like. These millet PB bites looks simple and delicious :) I hope downward dog is more comfortable from now on!
    Jessie recently posted…Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Orange ReductionMy Profile

7. Tara December 6, 2013 at 10:30 am Reply

Return of the millet! I love downward dog but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right either. I find myself pushing at the wrists but I feel if I push from my fingertips then I will break something or slide down!
    Tara recently posted…First World ProblemsMy Profile

8. Laura December 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reply

I’m excited to try these super easy, tasty looking cookies! The perfect healthy treat to bring to Christmas parties – thanks!

For your wrists, have you considered stretching them? Yoga can be hard on the wrists because we’re not used to bearing weight on them. I’m doing yoga teacher training right now, and in order to strengthen and stretch the wrists start in tabletop, and place hands palm upwards on the floor fingers facing towards you and resist with your arms and hold for about 30 seconds. Then rotate hands 45 degrees and continue with this. You can also practice stretching them with palms on the floor. It might not seem like you’re doing much, but in time it makes a big difference with wrist strengthening and flexibility.

• Christina December 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm Reply

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought to stretch my wrists but it all makes sense now. Will be trying this :)

9. The Candid RD December 7, 2013 at 6:04 am Reply

I made a granola once, with millet, and have been searching for other great recipes (on the sweet side) using millet. Looks like I found a winner! I may try this with maple syrup.
    The Candid RD recently posted…Pomegranate Glazed Carrots with Pistachios and ChivesMy Profile

10. Alex@Veggin' Out December 20, 2013 at 7:39 am Reply

These little bites look so simple and delicious! AND they’re something that I could make in my dorm once I return next semester!!
    I find it hard to be in downward dog with my hands flat and pushing through them too. I find that if I push my hips back and up it takes some of the pressure off my hands. It might be worth a try if you don’t already do it! :)
    Alex@Veggin’ Out recently posted…WIAW – Peanut Butter Coconut Maple Frosted Donuts!!!My Profile