Savoury Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Mix

IMG_20130728_081207

Seeds are completely underrated if you ask me and unless you have a nut allergy there’s a good chance you don’t eat them very often. I’m highlighting seeds today because not only are they MUCH cheaper than nuts but their nutritional profile is fantastic. In just a 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds you are getting 10g of protein, 2g of fibre and a great dose of iron, magnesium and healthy fats. Similarly, 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds are just as great with 8g of protein, 3g of fibre, and some vitamin B6 along with the minerals in pumpkin seeds.

I will admit that raw seeds can be kind of boring compared to nuts, which is why I decided to dress up these plain old pumpkin and sunflower seeds and give them the attention they deserve. At first glance you would probably think I just added some spices to them and stuck them in the oven to toast up, but look a little closer and you’ll see I used my secret weapon for crispy seeds without adding oil…egg whites! Don’t be alarmed, you won’t be getting any kind of eggy flavour in your seeds, the whites are just there to help bind the spices and produce a crunchy texture. I’ve been using this technique with my roasted nut creations for a while now and it worked just as great when I used it on the seeds.

I always like having nuts and seeds in my bag at all times just in case I get held up somewhere or develop a sudden hunger pang. They are filling, portable and can keep for weeks if you need them to.

Now go and show the seeds some love while doing your body (and wallet) some good!

Tagged: , , , ,

Comments: 12

1. Tara July 29, 2013 at 11:27 am Reply

Great idea to use the egg whites as a binder! I never thought to add flavor to my seeds, seems like common sense now that I think about it!

• Christina July 29, 2013 at 9:09 pm Reply

Yeah I never really thought about it either until now!

2. Katherine July 30, 2013 at 8:10 am Reply

I NEVER though about using egg whites! So healthy and effective!

3. Cassie July 30, 2013 at 10:16 am Reply

I’ve tried eating sunflower and pumpkin seeds raw, but I just didn’t enjoy them, so I kind of gave up on them. I tried this last night though, and boy is it tasty! That’s such a great idea to use egg whites. I would have never thought of that.

• Christina July 31, 2013 at 8:19 am Reply

I’m so glad you like them! I never really enjoyed them plain either and they’re so much better flavoured up.

4. Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian July 31, 2013 at 9:17 am Reply

This looks amazing!
    I have done a savory mix with lentils and loved it!
    I will have to make this one soon! :)

• Christina August 1, 2013 at 8:00 am Reply

Oooh lentils sounds good! I’ll have to check that out.

5. Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body July 31, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reply

What a coincidence, I just bought pumpkin and sunflower seeds in bulk this past weekend. Unfortunately I almost already out of pumpkin seeds! But I will have to try this because I love savoury snacks!

6. Alex@Veggin' Out August 1, 2013 at 8:00 am Reply

I love the idea of a savory trail mix! Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are definitely my two favorite seeds. I love to toss them onto salads for a bit of crunch!
    Using egg whites is brilliant, I never would have thought to do that! :)

7. Lea August 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reply

I wonder if you can omit the egg white and substitute 1/2 of a flax egg….. I will try it when I make this up…..unless…of course, you have tried it already and it didn’t work out…

• Christina August 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm Reply

I haven’t tried it and have only cooked with flax eggs in baking so I’m not sure if it will crisp up like the egg whites since it’s a gel. I’m thinking you may have to cook it a little longer to get rid of the water content but please let me know how it works out, now I’m curious.

8. PADI IDC July 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm Reply

* Assist PADI Instructors with students, and at Utila Dive Centre we have
    classes starting on a daily basis with plenty of opportunity for you to gain experience.
    In Angol point there are 2 large coral reef boulders 19
    meters high, mostly under the water. Like dive prevents you will waterless perhaps even heated.

My website: PADI IDC